I often leave for work in the morning and don't make it home until 9 or 10 at night - just enough time to go to bed and do the same thing the next day. I'd say I'm a pretty busy person. There's always something going on. Granted, I do accept the invitations and I'm not saying that my friends club me over the head and drag me to these events. It's something that I enjoy doing...hanging out my friends and spending time with them. I had this issue, a few months ago, of having difficulty making time for God each day. My alarm would go off and I'd jump out of bed with just enough time to take a shower and make it to work - then I was busy all day and didn't spend a lot of time talking with Him. God has been showing me over the last few months the importance of getting into the routine of giving time to Him each morning - to start my day off saying 'God, you are important to me - I know that I need you to get through my day.' My devotional this Sunday emphasized this point.
Read Mark 1:29-39.
These verses tell us about how Jesus - who had crowds of people following him around to see him, to hear him, to be healed by him - made time for God. Verse 35 tell us that 'In the morning, while it was still very dark, Jesus got up and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed.' Jesus knew that in order to get through his very important, very God focused day of serving others and teaching of God's love - he needed to get back on track with God each morning. To insure that he was doing God's will and not his own. Jesus made an effort to get up before everyone else...they were all cozy in their beds...and he got up...went to a quiet place...where he was without distraction and where he could focus on God...and he prayed. He spoke to God...He connected with his father. He didn't do it to put a tally mark on the board - he did it because he knew the importance of working on and putting effort into his relationship with God.
What a perfect example.
If Jesus had time and felt the need to do this in the morning...then who am I to think that I can get through my day not praying to God...or to say that I'm too busy? Do you want to live for God? Do you want to have Him guide you each day?
It may take sacrifices....losing a half hour of sleep in the morning, staying home on a Friday night to pray with God or do a devotional, or to volunteer your time to an organization when your friends are watching a movie....but ask yourself: Am I giving God the time I should give Him? Am I doing this because I truly am looking to improve my relationship with Him?
I pray that in asking these questions, the Holy Spirit will reveal things to you and truly change your heart to be passionate about God in an uncompromising way! See you all at Illuminate in a few hours :)
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment