Friday, July 24, 2009

A humbling trip to work

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. "

Philippians 2:3-4

****************************

I don't know about you, but I am still on an emotional high after this past Wednesday. We had a great night with all the new students and everything seemed to flow so well. In fact it's hard for me not to well up with pride. One thing I always remember when that happens is that I can't do anything without God and the people he has placed in my life. Everyone played a huge part in making the night run smoothly.


Two events this past week have really drove home the message of humility. The first was watching how students act during hangout time and in the service. If we all take Philippians 2:4 and apply it to the way we treat others when they come to church, then we will create a welcoming environment that people and students will want to come back to. If we care more about what we want, then that environment becomes uninviting. God wants the youth of Northeast Columbia to seek after his face and it's our job as believers to point them to that life changing relationship. That is why it is included in our mission statement.


The second event was last night at my home. I had a childhood friend that I hadn't seen in years come over for dinner. She brought her husband and family over and we spent the night talking about old times. After they left, my wife made the comment that I didn't do a very good job at asking them about themselves and what had been going on in their lives. I didn't think much about it at the time, but this morning while driving to work I realize that I do have a tendency to talk about everything from sports to what was on television last night and not really take the time to get to know the individual as a person. So I did the best thing I know to do and prayed. I prayed that God would help me be mindful of others. To ask people how things are going in their lives. People like it when you are interested in them. I'm not saying that I'm not interested in others, I just need to be more intentional about getting to know them.
Read Philippians 2:1-18 and learn how to imitate Christ's humility and then pray that God will help you put it into practice. Remember the only way to win someone over for Christ is to love them like Christ loves them.
See you Sunday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment