Friday, January 30, 2009

Don't Take My Word For It

"Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."
Acts 5: 38-39

*******************

The other day I was looking around on YouTube for videos from Rob Bell. If you don't know who Rob is, he is the pastor of the fastest growing church in America, Mars Hill. He has a series of videos out called Nooma. While I was searching I came across a video of a preacher who spent his whole sermon talking about how these videos are misleading and how Rob's teachings were not supported by the Bible. I had a conversation about this with a pastor friend of mine and he showed me another video of a pastor using his sermon to tear down another Pastor of another rapidly growing church. I was appalled at what I saw and heard from these men. How can these preachers stand before their congregations and declare their interpretation of scripture more true than anyone Else's? These modern day Pharisees aren't doing a very good job at ministering God's love and grace. Their spending more time telling their followers how wrong everyone else is, instead of teaching the word of God.

It all started me thinking. How can we be sure that preachers and teachers are telling us the truth? Well here is the best way I know. First and foremost read it for yourself. Don't take my word for it. Spend time praying and asking God to reveal his truth to you. And secondly ask questions. Seek out answers if you have questions. We are all constantly learning and acquiring knowledge. Proverbs 18:15 tell us, "The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."

Further Reading:

Acts 5:17-42

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment