Friday, January 23, 2009

The Narrow Gate

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
Matthew 7:13-14 (NIV)

*******************

Hey everyone, well its Friday and that means that thanks to our fearless leader Josh, who so graciously volunteered me, I am taking care of today's blog. I have to admit that at first Friday seemed like a let down to me. I mean here it is the start of the weekend and what normal teen would spend time on a Friday night to study the word when they could be out living it up with their friends? Then God tapped me on the shoulder and I realized that I don't want normal teens reading this. I want teens that are hungry to learn about and become more like Jesus. In fact, if more and more people started diving into the word, then just maybe that will become the norm. Unfortunately we are reminded in Matthew 7:13-14 that "only a few find it." Meaning that only a few spend time really seeking God. That is why you attend a school that has thousands and a church that has hundreds. But there is hope, if you go back a couple of verses Jesus says that "For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." (Matthew 7:8) We are all seeking something, some just don't know what. When you walk down the halls at school, do you look at the other students and wonder if they know Jesus or do you think about what they look like and what they're wearing. I challenge you to spend sometime praying about your school and then ask God to show you students that need to find that narrow gate. Invite them to Illuminate. As Pastor John always says, you never know which invite will lead to real life change.

Further reading:

Matthew 5 - 7. These chapters are Jesus' expectations of us. If you want to be like Jesus, then it is important to understand what he wants from his followers.

Have a good weekend and see you Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. I really like this blog, because I am one of those people who do walk down the whole and think what are they wearing, or do they know what they look like. I would like to be the person who thinks about what would God do in this situation, instead of taking the easy way out. I'm very hungry for the word of good.

    ReplyDelete