Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Did you hear that?

Hey guys and gals!! I feel like I haven't seen you all in ages...a week can really feel like a long time. Well, I'm excited we'll all be back together again for Illuminate tonight.

I've written before about themes that God puts in my life and speaks to me about. The most recent theme is one on 'hearing God through everything'. It started last week when I went to my friend's church service. Their pastor talked about how Moses went over to the burning bush and listened to God speak (Exodus 3:1-10)....when most of us would have gotten a hose to put the fire out...or simply would have walked away...too busy keeping track of our sheep. I'm reading a book called 'Windows of the Soul' by Ken Gire. Kind of a 'trippy' title, but really is a good book so far.

If we are longing for a relationship with God (which we all are, we just may not have admitted it to ourselves yet...and try to fill that desire with things of this world...which will always leave us unfulfilled) we need to listen for the ways in which He communicates with us. I am reminded of Psalm 46:10 'Be still and know that I am God'...we need to understand that God is omni-present - meaning He is everywhere - and is always communicating with us - every second of every day. How often do you hear Him? How often are you listening?

God can teach us and mold us through every event. We say we want to be like Jesus....Jesus looked deeper...read Luke 21:1-4 about the widow's offering. Most people at that temple only heard a small clink and thought that she didn't give much back to God...but Jesus saw that she gave more (as a percentage) than most...her tithe truly required trust in God - that He would provide food for her. Jesus listened for more than the click of coins to see her generosity. He looked at the women - saw what God saw - that she gave all she had.

I pray that God gives each of us His eyes to see what He sees and ears to listen to what is it that He would teach us in each situation we encounter.

Take a second look, take a second listen, don't be too busy to learn something from each situation that you encounter....no matter how simple it initially seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment