Friday, July 9, 2010

Set Apart

Jesus replied: “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Matthew 22:37-40
*****************************

As Christians what sets us apart from others, or maybe the better question is what should set us apart? The answer is love. As I was preparing to write this blog, I came across an old note book and flipped through it. Written on the back of one the pages was a little note from a former student with their name and the words “loves you.” Those two little words warmed my heart and almost brought a tear to my eye. You see it makes such a difference in someone’s life when they know that there are people who love and care about them.

When I looked up the word love in my concordance there were hundreds of verses that used the word love or some form of it. Of course it’s used in probably the most famous verse of the bible, John 3:16, but it is also used several times when Jesus gives instructions to his followers. In John 15:17 Jesus says, “This is my command: Love each other.” What would this world look like if all of God’s children loved Him and each other unconditionally? I believe that we wouldn’t need the other eight commandments. I mean who could commit murder against or lie to someone they love with the kind of love God shows us.

If you want the best definition of love and what it should look like then turn to 1 Corinthians 13. These verses paint a picture of what true love should look like. This kind of love is hard to grasp. I struggle to love those around me. I mean it’s easy to love those who love you, but the bible tells us that even unbelievers do that. So here is my challenge to you: read 1 Corinthians 13, then live a life that sets you apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment